Saturday, January 23, 2016

Melanoma Connect - I'mLivingProof.ca

My melanoma star is on the map.  Yes, I actually committed to putting a photo and short video of myself on the world wide web - outside the comfort of my little blog - gasp!  

I am happy to announce that I am participating in a program hosted by Save Your Skin Foundation (SYSF) to connect melanoma patients across Canada, and perhaps beyond.  SYSF founder Kathy Barnard is spending her well-earned survior-time helping others by way of emotional support and friendship, patient advocacy, working to increase awareness of metastatic melanoma and possible treatments, and connecting melanoma patients should they wish to be connected with others.  This site/group goes far beyond the basics of warning people to wear sunscreen; it is informative, warm, inviting, helpful, and proactive.

I am proud to join this group of survivors and to try to help bring awareness to this disease, and I am hoping that if I can help even one person to lighten their burden of a melanoma diagnosis, then I may be able to return even a small bit of the love and support I have received since my cancer journey began.  

Please check out their site to see what it's all about:

http://imlivingproof.ca/natalies-story/ 

My friends and family may recognize the location of the little star above the "T" in Toronto, that's Meaford!  That's me.  By clicking on any of these stars you will meet a melanoma patient with a story to share, and it includes a short Bio as well as a little video (mine is very obviously home-made, thank you Claire and Cassie!).  Along with the photo and bio is an orange button that anyone can click on to have SYSF connect patients via email and they can go from there.  

Please check out their whole site... my guest blog piece is on there too:
 
http://imlivingproof.ca/

When Kathy Barnard (Founder, Save Your Skin Foundation) was diagnosed with Metastatic Malignant Melanoma in 2003, the first thing she did was look to the internet for anything that would inspire optimism for her prognosis: hope, survivors, or treatment options. She didn't find much.

The I’m Living Proof initiative is a program intended to provide a wealth of information, resources, and support to those touched by the disease, while also connecting you to a community of survivors who have shared their stories. This initiative is borne from Kathy’s desire to ensure that those diagnosed with melanoma know that surviving melanoma is possible –“I’m Living Proof."


Hand in hand we fight Melanoma together
Join us and connect with other melanoma survivors and supporters

Sign up for their Newsletter
 http://www.saveyourskin.ca/
 (Scroll to the bottom of the home page to find this sign-up box!)

Check out their webinars and other helpful links

Who Are You Surviving For Program- 


https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/7516354212641335553



Thank you Save Your Skin Foundation!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment