Thursday, April 16, 2015

On the Line

Ever see the movie version of Mamma Mia? I am borrowing a line from the movie: I occasionally torture my almost-teenagers with jumbled techno-terms such as this version of the word "ONLINE" - when I say "On the Line" referring to the INTERNET *gasps from the girls*  they groan and correct me - it's ONLINE Mom!!  hahahaha  Yes, I know that, I was ONLINE before YOU were born!  All of my other accidental gaps from Chemo Brain they seem to forgive (or at least overlook), but if I want to get a rise out of them I use that one on purpose.  

http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/mamma-mia-the-movie/

During research for my little guest blog post I showed off the other day, and since that was posted, I have met even more people online either via email or blogs or websites or facebook, etc.  I have found more friends battling melanoma, and I have had several moments of "wow! You took the words right out of my mouth!"  I want to jump up and say me too me too!  It is interesting, and a relief.  It is that unique sense of community that I take comfort from.

I am truly grateful for the good news and writing distraction this week, the timing couldn't be better, as I am having a low bunch of days.  I find myself cranky and explosive and exhausted. My family concurs. :-(  

I think it is because of the lingering effects of the thyroid cancer treatment complications plus the side-effects of the pacmen, but also because I am dreading my trip to Toronto next week.  
Another couple of days away from home, for ipi treatment #6 and CT scan #5, plus get results from Nuclear Med body scan with Endocrinologist.  It will be a busy couple of days, and I am being a whiny baby stomping my feet - I don't want to do it!  I am sick of doing this stuff, I want my "old normal" back!  I am tired of my life being on the line.

Anyway... 

I thought I would share some of my online findings with you, if you wish to verify any of my information, or if you just wish to get someone else's perspective on what I'm talking about:

A Melanoma Journey - experience remarkably similar to mine (Canadian)

Hotel Melanoma - cool expression of experiences through song lyrics - I wanna be sedated too! (U.S.) This blog caught my attention when I read the description in the header: "The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research."  

Huffington Post Generation WHY - lots of funny and oh-so-true blogs such as this one: Cancer Has Made Me Socially Awkward

Dear Melanoma - Australian, perspective on such things as Life After Cancer 
Very true and real issues faced by stage 3/4 melanoma patients!
And, the actual article Emma from Dear Melanoma discusses: Lost in Transition After Cancer

Article: Melanoma Caught Me by Surprise - Don't Let it Happen to You, by Summer Sanders (Shared on FB by Save Your Skin Foundation)

Thank you to all of you who are willing to share your experiences online, and Thank you to all of you who support and encourage us in our journeys, online and on the line.  



1 comment: